Saturday, February 5, 2011

Day two, the University

It's midnight, there's a party going on in a room down the corridor. I don't know anybody from there, they're very loud. I think there's somebody who is leaving his stay at Malta and is making a final party.

But returning to the day 2, this morning I had started my way to the university at 9. I have nothing to do there yet, but I want to know how it looks like. The way to there is very narrow and without a real sidewalk. There's a picture:

The short path is about 20 minutes of walking, maybe something less. Fortunately I meet a girl on the road making my same path who showed me the way. I would hardly found that way on my own.
The university campus is not very big, but has his own charm.
Engineering building

ICT building
Economics building



I had easily found the building of ICT, following the campus maps spread around the campus. There were exams going on, so agreeing to the clear cartel on the entrance, I preferred not to disturb.

For case I found the canteen, where thankfully to a nice and crazy canteen-worker (Rita) I meet some Maltese students enrolled at the faculty of ICT (Andre, Darryl and Charlene).

They were very kind not only to answer all my questions, but even to take me to Valletta and show me the beauty where they leave in. They told me some basics about Maltese culture, tradition, history and politics. Big + for hospitality.


Thankfully to them, the public transport of Malta for me is beginning to have a sense. There is one square, at the entrance of Valletta, from which starts all the buses through the island. You can get a bus map and timetable from any tourist information office and it's quite useful.
The buses are old, but each one has his own spirit. Everyone is different, cared by his owner and driver. The one I took had no door, and the stop "button" is made with a clothesline cable taut under the roof all the way through the bus, so when you pull it, it makes a sound to the driver like the one from baby duck-toys.
Bus driver

Stop "button"

Another detail from the bus; I had to take the 64 to came back at the Garden View, but on the left side of the bus was written the number 62 and in front was written the number 64. So care only about the number in the front, because the two often don't match.

1 comment: